Researching Open Annotation and Learning
As an extension of my research into educator learning and everyday digital media practices, I am currently investigating the role of open web annotation in educators’ interest-driven and collaborative learning. Robust web annotation platforms and practices have appeared in scholarly publication, journalism, legal education, civic engagement, and scientific research. Within formal and informal learning, I am interested in the emerging role of open web annotation among distributed and academic communities of practice, and in particular how such groups use annotation within specific domains to create knowledge, build participatory intellectual commons, and facilitate open learning practices.
My research into annotation and learning has been supported by:
- 2017-18 OER Research Fellowship from The Open Education Group
- 2016 National Science Foundation Data Consortium Fellowship
- CU Denver School of Education and Human Development Faculty Development Grant
Publications about annotation and learning:
- Kalir, J. (In Press). Equity-oriented design in open education. Article to appear in International Journal of Information and Learning Technology. [Read preprint via OSF].
- Kalir, J., & Perez, F. (In Press). The Marginal Syllabus: Educator learning and web annotation across sociopolitical texts and contexts. Book chapter to appear in A. Reid (Ed.), Marginalia in modern learning contexts. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. [Read preprint via OSF]
- Kalir, J. & Dean, J. (2018). Web annotation as conversation and interruption. Journal of Media Practice, 19(1), 20-31.
- Hollett, T., & Kalir. J. (2017). Mapping playgrids for learning across space, time, and scale. TechTrends, 61(3), 236-245.
Presentations about annotation and learning:
- Kalir, J. (2018, October). Open palimpsests: Layering technologies, partnerships, resources, and practices for open education. Research presented at 15th Annual Open Education Conference. Niagara Falls, New York.
- Kalir, J., & Perez, F. (2018, October). Open annotation data as learning analytics: Workflows and visualizations for educator learning. Research presented at 15th Annual Open Education Conference. Niagara Falls, New York.
- Perez, F., & Kalir, J. (2018, August). Open web annotation as connected conversation in CSCL. Research paper presented at 2018 Connected Learning Summit. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Kalir, J., Cantrill, C., Perez, F., Dean, J., & Dillon, J. (2018, August). Educator connected learning via collaborative web annotation. Spotlight presented at 2018 Connected Learning Summit. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Garcia, A., & Kalir, J. (2018, April). Civic writing on invisible walls: Annotation as critical interrogation. Roundtable presentation at 2018 American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting. New York, New York.
- Kalir, J., & Perez, F. (2018, April). The Marginal Syllabus: Mediating educator learning via web annotation. Research paper presented at 2018 American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting. New York, New York.
- Kalir, J., Zamora, M., Dean, J., DeRosa, R., Campbell, G., & Levine, A. (2017, October). Layered learning: Web annotation in collaborative and connected contexts. Research presented at 2017 Digital Media and Learning Conference. University of California Irvine, Irvine, California.
- Kalir, J. (2017, May). Annotation in the classroom. Invited moderator at 2017 I Annotate. San Francisco, CA.
- Kalir, J. (2017, April). Open web annotation: Social and collaborative annotation for online teaching and learning. Invited presentation at Beyond Canvas: Teaching with Social Media. University of Colorado Denver, Denver, Colorado.
- Kalir, J. & Hollett, T. (2017, April). Playgrids as new media configurations for learning across space, time, and scale. Roundtable research presentation at 2017 American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting. San Antonio, Texas.
- Kalir, J. (2016, October). What Maimonides, Banksy, and Alexandra Elbakyan can teach us about open annotation. Ignite Talk presented at 2016 Digital Media and Learning Conference. University of California Irvine, Irvine, California.
- Holden, J. (2016, May). Positing playful annotation in the open. Research presented at 2016 I Annotate. Berlin, Germany.
Recent blog posts and projects:
- The Marginal Syllabus
- Reading Pathways Into and Beyond An Annotation Conversation
- Layer as Resource
- Instructional Design Faculty Weblog (via CU Online)
- Moderating Entities and Annotation as Meaningful Engagement
- Talking Open Web Annotation at CU Denver’s Beyond Canvas Event
- Marginal Syllabus as OER and OEP
- Annotathon: Dialogue about a Political Theory of Learning
- Annotating the News
- Web Annotation as #DisruptiveMedia