Researching Annotation and Learning
As an extension of my research into educator learning and everyday digital media practices, I am currently investigating the role of web annotation in educators’ interest-driven and openly networked learning. Robust web annotation platforms and practices have appeared in scholarly publication, journalism, legal education, civic engagement, and scientific research. Within formal and informal learning, I am interested in the emerging role of open annotation among distributed and academic communities of practice, and in particular how such groups use annotation within specific domains to create knowledge, build participatory intellectual commons, and facilitate open learning practices.
My research into annotation and learning has been supported by:
- 2017-18 OER Research Fellowship from The Open Education Group
- 2016 National Science Foundation Data Consortium Fellowship
- CU Denver School of Education and Human Development Faculty Development Grant
Publications about annotation and learning:
- Kalir, J. & Dean, J. (In Press). Web annotation as conversation and interruption. Manuscript accepted for publication in Journal of Media Practice.
- Kalir, J. (In Review). The emerging role of open web annotation in communities of practice. Manuscript submitted for review to Technology, Knowledge and Learning.
- Kalir, J. & Perez, F. (In Preparation). The Marginal Syllabus: Educator learning via open web annotation. Book chapter proposal accepted for full submission to Social Annotation in Modern Learning Contexts.
- Hollett, T., & Kalir. J. (2017). Mapping playgrids for learning across space, time, and scale. TechTrends, 61(3), 236-245.
Presentations about annotation and learning:
- Kalir, J., Zamora, M., Dean, J., DeRosa, R., Campbell, G., & Levine, A. (2017, October). Layered learning: Web annotation in collaborative and connected contexts. Research to be presented at 2017 Digital Media and Learning Conference. University of California Irvine, Irvine, California.
- Kalir, J. (2017, May). Annotation in the classroom. Invited moderator at 2017 I Annotate. San Francisco, CA.
- Kalir, J. (2017, April). Open web annotation: Social and collaborative annotation for online teaching and learning. Invited presentation at Beyond Canvas: Teaching with Social Media. University of Colorado Denver, Denver, Colorado.
- Kalir, J. & Hollett, T. (2017, April). Playgrids as new media configurations for learning across space, time, and scale. Roundtable research presentation at 2017 American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting. San Antonio, Texas.
- Kalir, J. (2016, October). What Maimonides, Banksy, and Alexandra Elbakyan can teach us about open annotation. Ignite Talk presented at 2016 Digital Media and Learning Conference. University of California Irvine, Irvine, California.
- Holden, J. (2016, May). Positing playful annotation in the open. Research presented at 2016 I Annotate. Berlin, Germany.
Video from 2016 DML Ignite Talk:
Recent blog posts and projects:
- The Marginal Syllabus
- Instructional Design Faculty Weblog (via CU Online)
- Moderating Entities and Annotation as Meaningful Engagement
- Talking Open Web Annotation at CU Denver’s Beyond Canvas Event
- Marginal Syllabus as OER and OEP
- Annotathon: Dialogue about a Political Theory of Learning
- Annotating the News
- Web Annotation as #DisruptiveMedia